Since the beginning of 2018, I am part of the secretariat of the Coalition Promote Pollinators. The secretariat facilitates, mediates in knowledge demand and supply and brings the members together in inspiring active sessions. https://promotepollinators.org/
The secretariat has already achieved substantial visibility in the past year and has drawn attention to the important role that the Coalition can play as a front-runner for the protection of pollinators and the strengthening of pollination, for example for food supply.
Local projects Circular Economy
Under the umbrella of Rebus, I organised a series of workshops on circular procurement. In these workshops with designers, suppliers and buyers of specific product group (ICT, Office furniture) the importance of relationships and trust was highlighted. Parties came into dialogue on their own motives and interests, and developed collective ambitions, which formed the cornerstone for further collaboration.
Poster presented at WRF 2015: THE ROLE OF DESIGN IN CIRCULAR PROCUREMENT
Make it Work
Improving implementation of EU environmental law
From 2015-2019, I provided consultancy support to the European initiative, Make it Work.
Make it Work wants to open an ongoing debate on how the clarity, coherence and structure of EU environmental legislation can be improved, making it simpler for Member States to implement and easier for businesses and others to comply.
For Make it Work I have provided analysis of policy and legislation, developed guidance for smarter regulation, written discussion papers and co-organised and facilitated workshops and sessions for international policy-makers, businesses and practitioners. READ MORE ABOUT MAKE IT WORK AND ITS PROJECTS
Making the circular economy work
On 20 March 2019, together with IMPEL, Make it Work launched ‘Making the Circular Economy Work – Guidance for regulators’. Its key messages:
- Eco-innovations are one of the ways forward towards sustainable production and a green economy.
- Though policy-makers, legislators and regulators are doing a good job in regulating businesses to deliver both for the economy and the environment, there is room for improvement;
- Regulators struggle to enable eco-innovations within the current legislative and policy frameworks, because the legislation was not made with innovation in mind;
- The project has developed a guidance that gives hands-on help to regulators who face challenges posed by eco-innovations in the transition towards the circular economy.
Solutions that are suggested:
- a more encouraging and proactive role of regulators balancing the need to protect the environment with encouragement of technologies that can deliver the sustainable/green production
- by developing dialogues with businesses, welcoming of balanced experiments and pilots, exchange of information between regulators, both within and between Member States, on how they deal with secondary materials
The guidance includes many case descriptions that point out the opportunities within the legislation as well as good practices in some of the Member States.
The guidance is an interactive PDF that is meant not so much for reading from A-Z, but for use! It can be downloaded here.
Stakeholder analysis on Sustainable design for the plastics value chain; for the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment (July 2014)
From the conclusion:
Designers can and must play an important role in practically every phase of the production and consumption of plastics, not only in product design.
Key factors for success:
– Collaboration between value chain partners;
– Seeing the opportunities, daring, ambition and taking risks.
The results from this analysis served as an input for the development of Guidelines for designing with recycled plastic, developed by Partners voor Innovatie, 2015.
Events and sessions
If you are looking for a well-organised brainstorm or discussion session on circular economy, with perspectives from different stakeholders and relevant and inspiring results, I can deliver this for you.
I have been organising and facilitating many sessions on circular economy since 2015, in smaller and larger settings, for NGOs and governmental organisations, within the Netherlands and in the EU. Please contact me for a tailor-made offer.